- California’s Complex Water System: Learn about the history of California’s water system with this primary source reader that builds literacy and social studies content knowledge! Primary source documents help students look at the world and current issues with a historical lens, and encourage them to consider bias and the validity and reliability of sources.
- Information Literacy: Separating Fact from Fiction: This essential professional resource includes everything that teachers need to help students achieve digital literacy, and includes activities and easy-to-use templates to support teachers as they teach the key skills of analyzing and understanding online information.
- Teen Vogue: Family Separation Because of Incarceration and Detention at the Border is Taking a Toll on Children
- HuffPost: My Dad Killed 2 People When I was 15. Here’s Why I’m Finally Ready to Make Peace with Him
- Teen Vogue: Debtors’ Prisons, Explained.
- Parent Co.: A Coffee Date at 40: Why Time for Ourselves is Essential
- Teen Vogue: How Social Media Played a Role in the 2016 Presidential Election
- The Osborne Association (#SeeUsSupportUs Campaign): The Attendance Note
- GoodHousekeeping.com: My Father Killed Two People—Could He Have Passed Down a Crime Gene to Me?
- NY Daily News: Young Casualties of Our War on Crime
- The Marshall Project and Vice: My Father Killed Two People
- The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society: What I’ve Learned: Tips for Parents of Kids with A.L.L.
- News-O-Matic: The Science of Sport
- I wrote an essay for Bright about using a robot to help educate my seriously ill child.
- I also wrote about ways to help a parent whose child has cancer for Scary Mommy.
- I wrote a narrative listicle for Bright during the focus on incarceration entitled Books for Kids with Incarcerated Parents.
- Primary Source Readers: California Kit: I developed all of the educator guides for this kit. From the publisher: “This kit helps to build social studies content-area literacy by integrating dynamic primary sources into the classroom! This comprehensive kit uses original documents, maps, photographs, and other materials to engage students in learning the history of California.”
- “Flopping Frogs,” about the evolution of the tailed frog, is one of the articles I sold to Highlights for Children. I also developed language arts resources to complement the piece.
Featured Blog Posts:
- Cutting the Deadwood — About making revisions on Laura Sassi Tales
- Monster Staying Power — What gives a picture book longevity? Pens & Brushes
- Thinking About Scrivener? — Kathy Temean’s Writing and Illustrating
- The Common Core for Kid Lit Writers — Pens & Brushes
- Mentor Text Help with Pacing in Picture Book Manuscripts — Marcie Finchum Atkins’s blog
- Why Mentor Texts Work: The Consume, Critique, Produce Model — Marcie Finchum Atkins’ blog